Sunday, December 4, 2011

Letters of Inquiry

I chose to write my letters of inquiry to Katherine Humphrey and Kaylene Craig. 

Kaylene Craig is the Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention Coordinator in Idaho Falls, Idaho.  I e-mailed her the following:

Hello,

My name is Ariel Rivera and I am a student at College of Western Idaho.  I am writing an argumentative essay regarding teen pregnancy and I'd like to ask you a few questions.  I will be including my letter to you into my essay, and would greatly appreciate your response to include as well.

1. What is your view on teen pregnancy? 
2. Do you think teens are properly educated about safe sex?
3. Do you think parents are talking to their children about sex or expecting the school to do it?
4. Are adequate efforts being made to let teenage parents know their options?
5. What percent of teenage mothers end up on Welfare?
6. What percent of teenage mothers finish school and go on for further education?
7. Tell me about some of things you have done to decrease teenage pregnancies?

I'm not sure if you have any statistics but if you do or if there is anything else you would like to include, please feel free to do so.

Thank you for your time,

Ariel Rivera

I then received the following e-mail response from her:

Ariel,

I appreciate your interest in this topic.  Unfortunately, I do not have the hours available right now to adequately respond to these complicated and interesting questions. 

I suggest that you visit our state website at idahoteenpregnancy.com and possibly contact Katherine Humphrey, who is over our State APP Program.

Another great website is the National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy.  Both of these sites have great statistics for you.
Good luck!

Kaylene Craig

Kaylene Craig
Physical Activity and Nutrition Program Coordinator
Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention Coordinator
Eastern Idaho Public Health District
1250 Hollipark Dr.
Idaho Falls, ID 83401
208.533.3150
kcraig@phd7.idaho.gov

In Kaylene's e-mail she referred me to Katherine Humphrey who I did indeed contact.  I sent her the following:

Hello,

My name is Ariel Rivera and I am a student at the College of Western Idaho.  I was hoping you could tell me more about the program you run, and how it helps teenagers.  I am writing a paper on teen pregnancy in Idaho and will further discuss it on a global level.  Any help you have regarding my topic I would greatly appreciate.

Thank you,

Ariel Rivera

Unfortunately I did not receive and response.

No comments:

Post a Comment