Sunday, December 4, 2011

Me...A Teen Mom?

Me…A Teen Mom?

            Usually when you are a teenager you have fun with your friends, spend most of your time doing your homework or playing sports but me teenage years were very different than others.  I met him my Sophomore year in high school, and our feelings were very strong from the beginning.  Daniel and I spent every minute together, or so we tried.  I was only a sixteen year old teen, as was he, and soon we would have our lives changed forever. 
            Teenage hormones are so strong and overwhelming and I gave into them.  Daniel and I had been dating for about five months and we were getting serious.  I talked to my mom about getting on birth control because my older sister became a teen mom at fifteen and I did not want that for myself.  I had gotten my birth control and was ready to start taking them but I noticed that I was starting to feel different.  I was expecting my period but it had not come.  I then took it upon myself to get a pregnancy test and my eyes widened as it read “PREGNANT”. 
            I was feeling the emotions of scared, nervous, and sad.  I did not know what to do.  I told Daniel who was just as scared as I was.  We ended up telling our families about two months later and they were shocked and disappointed to say the least.  My mom had been through this once before and my dad had passed away earlier that year.  Daniel’s parents are very old fashioned and wanted us to get married, which was out of the question.  Daniel’s parents had actually offered to adopt the baby and raise it as their own.  I could not even fathom knowing my child was in the same town and that I did not have the guts to be there for it.  I decided that I was going to follow through with the pregnancy and keep my baby.
            Seven months later Daniel and I were blessed with a eight pound two ounce baby girl.  She has blessed our lives more than I could even describe.  I am proud to say that Daniel and I graduated with our class on time and with great grades.  Destini never went without and always had what she needed because of the amazing, supportive family that Daniel and I had.
            Not all teenagers that get pregnant are as lucky as Daniel and I were.  I do not consider Destini a mistake, but a blessing.  I would never take her back or change anything that happened because then I would not have Destini and I would not be the person I am today. 
           

No comments:

Post a Comment