Sunday, December 4, 2011

Interviews

Rivera, Erika.  Personal Interview.  14 Sept.  2011. 
How old were you when you became a mom?
            -15
What did you do when you first found out?
            -I didn’t really do anything, I just tried to deny it.
What kind of emotions were you feeling?
            -I was scared.
 Do you think you were properly educated about sex?
            -No!
How do you feel about teen pregnancy now? 
            -Obviously it happens, especially if people aren’t going to educate their kids about it or be naive towards it, it will keep happening.
Do you think parents or schools are doing their best to inform teenagers about sex?
            -No.  I think the schools aren’t teaching kids about the reality of sex, its more about going through puberty and what to expect through that not about preventions.
Financially do you think you are able to care for your child?
            -No. I was 15 years old, how was I supposed to?
Having a child as a teenager, do you think it affected any goals you had in the future? 
            -I mean I obviously changed my plans, I’m doing alright but I changed the way I went about things.
Do you worry about your child becoming a teenage parent? 
            -No, not really.  It crosses my mind but it could happen to anybody.
If there were more efforts made to inform you about sex, do you think that you would still have had your child? 
            -Maybe if it would have come more from my parents.
What kind of message would you send out to teenagers about being a teen parent, any advice? 
            -Its very hard and I would definitely wait.  Being a teenager you are still a kid yourself and not emotionally ready to take care of a child.

Moylan, Patti.  Personal Interview.  16 Sept.  2011.
Do you think the school you teach at is doing all they should to educate teens about sex?            
  -I don't know for sure what the health curriculum is in the middle school, but I do know that they address sex a tiny bit.  This topic is very controversial.  On one hand, teachers feel and obligation to educate, on the other, schools generally respect parents' rights and obligations.  The tragedy is then if both assume the child is getting information from the other, and they are not.
What is your opinion about teen pregnancy? 
            -I was pregnant as a teenager.  I had an abortion.  It was my choice.  I've never regretted it.  I wasn't ready to be a parent at 28 either, but I carried on.
Do you think parents are doing their part in educating their kids about safe sex?
            -I don't know if parents are talking with their kids or not.  I don't like talking with kids about sex, so the topic doesn't come up.
Have you or anyone that you know been affected by teen pregnancy?
            -I think I've covered this.  But I'll add: I've seen a few kids in school over my 17 years of teaching who've ended up pregnant in school.  I feel for them because parenting is so hard and I wish kids would just be kids for as long as they can.  Both of my own children were very responsible when it came to sex.  I've always stressed that there is an order: education, career and kids.  My children heeded this advice and I think their lives have been more stable because of it.  I gave my son condoms when he got his driver's license.  Not as a ticket to have sex, but as a reminder of what to do if it came up (ho ho, pun).
Do you think that all school counselors or schools in general should provide condoms for teens?
           -No.  I think schools should provide information, but not condoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment